For two days this weekend I attended DragonCon, a Labor Day Weekend fixture in Atlanta. This event includes everything from guest appearances by actors and creators of science fiction, fantasy, anime, role playing games, to a massive parade on Saturday morning with costumes more elaborate than the best Halloween party you ever attended.
The post title comes from the weapons policy for the event – and weapons were everywhere. Sort of scary for a first timer like me, but surprisingly, you get used to the craziness.
Since many of those attending identify themselves with their favorite characters, today’s list involves a count of what I saw there.
- 27 Indiana Joneses
- 2 Marios
- 1 cast of Futurama
- 5 Legend of Zelda Links
- 3 Wookies – we assume they were Chewbacca
- 14 Darth Vaders
- 2 Mad Hatters
- 1 Alice in Wonderland
- 1 Orc (Warhammer Game)
- 100 (or more) Storm Troopers
- 1 Wild Thing (see pic above)
- Various characters from Teen Fortress (Video Game)
- 1 Thomas the Train
- 2 Bob the Builders – no, wait, my son tells me that is the engineer from Teen Fortress, and yeah, he does look like Bob the Builder.
- 2 Princess Leias in Bikini (1 that shouldn’t have, really)
- 4 Princess Leias with Bun Hair and white robe
- 6 Ghostbusters
- 5 Creepy Masked Guy from “V is for Vendetta”
- Hundreds more Characters from Games, Movies, and Role Play that I do not know.
I saw no incidents of weapon policy violations, so for all you other HR-types out there, it just goes to show you the value of a good policy.
Let’s be careful out there.
Anna at abdpbt is responsible for the effort to Fight Listless Mondays. Find other list links on her blog. Her lists are more clever. Lots.