A little thought can make all the difference

8 Reasons Why People Don’t Wear Seatbelts

seatbeltWhen I worked on a massive hiring project, we were trying to learn about peoples’ thought processes for their personal safety, and we asked in the interview if they wore seat belts or not. Most people replied that they did, and stated the law required it, but many people still offered that they didn’t. They had a lot of interesting reasons why not.

1. Seat belts wrinkle my clothes
  2. I don’t need to, I have airbags
  3. It’s uncomfortable
  4. I’ve heard of people trapped in a burning car who couldn’t unfasten their belt
  5. My parents never wore them
  6. There’s dust on them that gets on my clothes
  7. I don’t believe there should be a law requiring me to wear them
  8. I’m a good driver

Would we hire someone who said they didn’t wear them and offered these excuses? Maybe, if they showed some level of flexibility in other portions of the interview. But when you take a job in a factory with required protective equipment and specific procedures, there is little room for personal comfort or opinion.

Do you wear your seat belt? Have you convinced yourself it’s OK not to do so?

Let’s be careful out there.
listbutton

20 Responses to 8 Reasons Why People Don’t Wear Seatbelts

1. abdpbtNo Gravatar says:

Always. My mother was a safety nut, so we always wore seat belts and even had car seats back before they were required by law. It feels weird to sit in a car without a seatbelt!

2. MarkNo Gravatar says:

Reasons 4, 5, 7, and 8 = excuses purely intended to justify doing what you want to do anyway

Seatbelts are not inherently uncomfortable. What’s uncomfortable is what you’re not used to. Once I get used to wearing seatbelts, I no longer even noticed I was wearing one.

Airbags and seatbelts each protect you from different types of accidents. For certain accidents, they both protect you, but the 2 of them together protect you even more.

TimNo Gravatar Reply:

Thanks for your views Mark. We can have action, or we can make excuses. Some people see excuses as a sort of reasoning, but it falls way short of a true “reason”.

ReasonableNo Gravatar Reply:

Until they are trapped in a burning car because of a seat belt.

3. Beth VillebrunNo Gravatar says:

EVERYONE SHOULD WEAR SEAT BELT BECAUSE IT LEGAL

4. Courtney StewartNo Gravatar says:

You should wear your seatbelt but wearing it should be a choice and not forced apon adults!

DavidNo Gravatar Reply:

I agree, it should be an adults choice and big brother should mind his own damn business

billyNo Gravatar Reply:

Amen

5. RyanNo Gravatar says:

I honestly don’t get why people don’t wear seatbelts. I don’t even notice mine when I wear it, and it is literally the easiest thing you can do that will have the greatest impact on your survival chances.

I guess some people enjoy the thought of travelling face first through a glass windscreen and sliding on pavement. Wierdos

[Reply]

6. [...] Notice what this top 8 list of reasons for not putting on a seatbelt: [...]

7. frankNo Gravatar says:

Great list of excuses :)

In the end if it is our car we can DEMAND that all passengers wear their seat belt.
    We may not be popular but we will have a clean conscience.

8. MIKEKELL MOORENo Gravatar says:

.Wear yo seat belt or die not puttning on yo seat belt is just like hitting death n da face # Be safe……

9. Celeste PomykalaNo Gravatar says:

Personally, I always wear a seat belt and won’t move my car without everyone also having theirs on. There is however a truth in seat belts not being entirely necessary. My sister was in a major car wreck (not an accident since it could have been prevented) 3 years back and would have actually died if she had had a seat belt on but instead she flew out the window and lived. The easiest way to go about the seat belt situation is to simply put on a seat belt but also keep a seat belt cutting knife in the car. I have a seat belt cutter as well as window cutter on mine and love it dearly. One more helpful piece of advice: drive safe and keep vigilant. Hope this helps everyone :)

10. bobNo Gravatar says:

i guess some people like blood.lovley :{

11. jeffNo Gravatar says:

Personally I have been in two major accidwnts. In both I was wearing a seat belt. The first I was hit on the drivers side and broke the drivers side window with my head. The belt did no good. The second I rolled a truck with three other people in side. Those three all got ejected from the vehicle and the seatbelt held me in. The cab was crushed onto me and broke my coller bone, tore my rotator cuff , and broke one rib. The three ejected walked away. I would be more than happy to wear my belt if I could see one report that shows the number of people who were injured because of the seatbelt vs those who weren’t. The officer in both instances wrote on his report that the belt saved my life. How can they really say that perhaps I would have been ejected and walked away and it did nothing when hit from the side.

TimNo Gravatar Reply:

Jeff-
    I’m the first to admit that seat belts are not a solution to every impact. The major accident I had was a head-on collision when I lost control in a snow storm. I have no doubt that the bruises from the belt were far less severe than the outcome would have been otherwise.
    I also agree that just because you were wearing your seat belt doesn’t mean that the belt saved you.
    But given my understanding of physics, engineering, and safety, I still buckle up every time.

DaveNo Gravatar Reply:

Jeff – You want proof?

63% of people who died last year on US raods, died as a direct result of not wearing a seatbelt, in the UK for 2011, it was 28% and sad to say it for here in Australia, it was 29.5% died as a result of not wearing seatbelts.

I definitely agree that the circumstances you have had with your two accidents have been shi.tty luck and would definitely have jaded your perspective on seatbelt wearing – at the very least you have a decent excuse for your opinion! (though, for a side impact, holding you into place may have prevent your head impacting both the roof and the opposing window sill, possibly on the way out the opposite window, yet still causing more harm than was inflicted. But, it is of course, only conjecture…

In regards to all others reading:

– Seat belts wrinkle my clothes –
    you have GOT to be kidding me? Sacrifice safety for wrinkles?

– I don’t need to, I have airbags –
    See the little letters that precede a vast majority of airbags in cars? SRS? SUPPLEMENTARY restraint system – Airbags work in concert WITH seatbelts, if you are not wearing a seatbelt, airbags don’t matter, you can still go straight through it…

– It’s uncomfortable –
    Here, have a spoon of cement. I’m an overweight dude that drives over 60,000klm per year in all types of terrain, from Tiny hatchbatchs, to large SUV’s, don’t be soft. I have never felt seatbelts to be uncomfortable or compromise my movement

– I’ve heard of people trapped in a burning car who couldn’t unfasten their belt –
    They need to buy a Toyota then. lol. Every new car manufactured in the past decade in most (I’m not certain of the extent, but UK, US and Australia for sure) has a number of things that happen in major impacts – interior lights come on, doors unlock (those with central locking) and fuel lines are crimped/cut, and in the case of Hybrids with HV batteries, current is also cut, so that first responders can open the vehicle up like a tin can if needed. It is also EXTREMELY rare for vehicle to catch fire/blow up etc these days. Most fuel tanks are inside the vehicle reinforcing shell to mitigate these instances

– My parents never wore them –
    And? Your parents didn’t use facebook either? Going to delete your account? Your parents didn’t use smart phones, are you going to throw yours out? Its called technology, its called advancement. (Well, maybe not social media. lol) Vehicles your parents would have had 30 years ago, would have had no airbags, climate control, fuel injection, ABS, Stability control etc. – doesn’t mean I want a car without it..

– There’s dust on them that gets on my clothes –
    This is same response as the “wrinkling my clothes” with an added addendum – Clean your freaking belt then you idjit!

– I don’t believe there should be a law – requiring me to wear them –
    I don’t believe there should be a law to stop me running people off the road that drive slow in the right hand lane (Left hand lane for US readers), yet I still have to comply with it and just grit my teeth. There are many laws we probably think are silly, yet, we do have to cop to them.

– I’m a good driver –
    I am very happy for you. I too consider myself to be a wonderful driver. So what about the hordes of knobs on the road that DON’T follow the road rules? That speed, that drink drive. Guess what, if you were the ONLY person driving on the road, the above would actually BE applicable. However, because the road is shared with millions of other users, many of them inexperienced, too old, poor reflexes, inebriated, on drugs, distracted, texting, can’t see properly, have a poorly maintained car with bad brakes etc etc etc so many circumstances it cannot be counted.

Your skills notwithstanding, everyone should wear a seatbelt. It is much much much more likely to save your life in the event of an impact that to detract from your safety.

NB: If you think you don’t have to wear a seatbelt in the back seat because it is “safer” please google for 3 minutes the vast number of times an unrestrained rear seat passenger has KILLED the people sitting in the front, who may have been doing the right thing and worn their seatbelt…

Ok, Enough novel writing from me :)

Have a good day,

Dave

12. 911gearNo Gravatar says:

People wear seat belts while driving more out of fear of law than anything. It doesn’t matter to them what the consequences could be. There is a set of people that flouts the personal safety rules voluntarily while others just have stupid reasons as mentioned in the article and these can’t be digested easily, for sure.

13. SB_AustraliaNo Gravatar says:

I always wear mine & I always make sure my kids’ are in their child seats properly.

Personally I don’t care if other adults decide not to wear their belt, it’s their life they’re playing with, but I get so mad when I see kids unrestrained in a moving vehicle.

Not restraining a child should constitute negligence & result in loss of your children.

14. cahnceNo Gravatar says:

you should wear your seat belt no matter what people are lying